Pages

Monday 11 March 2013

Wonderful Melbourne



So after 24 hours on 2 planes I arrived in Melbourne.  The flights were uneventful but I did get the chance to watch the much acclaimed Argo and can’t recommend it highly enough.  I also managed to watch 5 episodes of my new guilty pleasure, Nashville. Not quite so high brow but just as entertaining!

I have visited here at the same time of year for the last five years and I’m used to the changeable weather – today though the temperature in Melbourne has hot 35 C. Now I know the UK is under snow so I am certainly not going to moan but just walking around outside here you feel your skin tightening and starting to burn, even with lotion on.

I always stay in St Kilda, near the beach for this race which I am so grateful for. To be able to walk along to the seafront and have breakfast in the sunshine is an amazingly positive way to start the day.  I started the morning at the Beachcomber bar/restaurant with two large coffees and some of the gorgeous fruit bread they have here – think of the fruitiest hot cross bun – almost Christmas cake and then put it slice form!  I know there is similar at home but it doesn’t come close to this! As I sat there myself watching the world go by, I spotted a few F1 people as they start to trickle into the City.

After a bit of shopping and purchasing of some neon vests (look better than they sound) and a straw hat which will probably won’t get on screen but will stop my head from getting burned, I hit the gym.  Running 5k whilst watching rugby on TV was really not what I had planned but as it is too hot to run outside then this was the next best thing.

Tonight I am off out with an old friend and native Melbournian  (I am pretty sure that is not what they are called!) and to discover some new parts of the City.

Lee x

2 comments:

  1. Wikipedia says "Inhabitants of Melbourne are called Melburnians."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee, really like your blog! have a great time there, me and my husband are eager to the season's kick off this weeekend, just a shame that won't be libe on BBC : ( anyway, best of luck! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...