Pages

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Bookworm or Couch Potato



Something is changing. I love books, I love bookshops, they’re my favourite kind of shops. I also love the feeling of sitting down watching television, a big show, live programmes and knowing millions of others doing and sharing exactly the same thing at the same time – it seems more of an event. Remember when the day after watching the Brit Awards, which are on tonight despite always being on Pancake Day, you would go into work and discuss who was good/bad/controversial? The final of Wimbledon, X Factor or whatever you enjoy becomes a talking point and just not the same two days later.

Now, we want entertainment on demand and as and when it suits us.  We rely on kindles, e-readers, which you can’t share with your friends and when it  comes to TV you daren’t say what happened in a show as at least one person will have recorded it, part watched it or ‘series linked’ it! TV and radio is becoming a more selfish experience.

In some ways, watching and reading doesn’t quite seem so easy these days but in fact it is the exact opposite. Even with all my sentimental ways, I still know that carrying books on a tablet in electronic form will save me a lot of room in my suit case and me putting my back out when I am travelling (I read a lot!) and if I need a book when I am in ‘remote’ Korea or somewhere which doesn’t have many English language books, I can just buy one instantly online. Instant entertainment.

Now after three months in UK I am preparing to head off on my travels and that means making friends with ‘Series Link’. I always think I don’t watch much television but recently I have been enjoying Mr Selfridge, always look forward to The Good Wife and loving Nashville.  It also means that the day after I come back or wake up jet-lagged in the middle of the night, I can snuggle down and catch up on my favourite shows.

Today I am stocking up on books from kindle, which I will buy from a lovely bookshop (like www.dauntbooks.co.uk in the top photo) if I enjoy them enough.  Of course the old ways are the nicest but the new ways are the easiest.
Any suggestions of must reads to help me on my travels then please let me know.

Lee x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...